Pets blog

Thursday, April 2, 2009

My dogs chest area is swollen and she is in pain when I pick her up.?

She drinks but doesn't eat.I am taking her to the vet today but I am just curious if anyone else has had this problem ?



Not eating is a sign of a serious problem. It could be an infection to an underlying illness that causes swelling of the organs. Nobody can tell you. She could have had an allergic reaction to something, or could have had some trauma that causes her to be in pain, thereby not interested in eating. Only a veterinarian can tell you what is wrong with her. She needs to see the vet to determine what is going on and the proper treatment she will need.




Is it possible that she could have a puncture wound that is well hidden by her fur. My dog was bitten recently in a fight and the vet missed one puncture wound that was well hidden, he discovered it the following day. These wounds often don't bleed and can be very small but can lead to infection which would cause swelling and your dog not to eat. It may well have already healed over already but be infected inside.




Could be a sting/bite from something and possibly going into anaphylatic shock where the throat closes up and is only able to swallow liquid. Soon she won't be able to breathe. How long has this been going on? When you touch her chest does it hurt? Have you seperated her fur to look at her skin? Is it red, inflamed? Are her gums/tongue a pretty healthy pink or whiteish? Is she lethargic, just wants be left alone, hiding somewhere, Is her breathing labored? How long has she gone without eating? What about pooping and peeing? Is she peeing normally? Is she pooping? Could she have swallowed something from the floor or a pork/chicken/ham bone/rawhide bone stuck? Could she have been hit by a car? Not enough info to help you. I hope your dog will be O.K. Most certainly, get her to the vet ASAP. Carol




If she is in PAIN Take her to the vet NOW!


If you were in intolerable pain that kept you from eating would you wait to go to the hospital?




I have not had this problem with any of my dogs but I know if I did they would be at the vet getting the proper care.




Thank heaven you are going to the vets today. I would never ask total strangers for advice regarding my dog's health.

No comments:

Post a Comment