Pets blog

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Sort of disgusting question about my Shih-Tzu?

Well I have a 5 year old Shih-Tzu and these past three years ever since he got colitis the one time after a NYC canine cruise (I assumed it was either from so much excitement from being around all those other dogs or because he was stressed but he looked pretty happy on the cruise). Ever since I noticed that whenever we go for a car ride to the pet store or just to any place and I let him poop in a new place it has a little spot of blood on it (not big at all way smaller than a penny). He is always fine, eats, drinks, plays and everything normally. Could this just be from him working his system up from excitement? I also know that when we go to the dog park (which is about every weekend during the summer) he will go poop about 3 or 4 times at the park and towards the last poop its all runny. Does he just have a very sensitive system? I know hes fine because he stays himself never acts different or in pain.



A lot of dogs do get stress - induced colitis.My cousin is a dog groomer and also boards dogs,and she has several that get colitis when they are groomed or boarded.I had a Chihuahua who used to get it.As long as your vet says the dog is OK,then you shouldn't worry,but ask your vet if you can get some Metronidazole,prednisone and an antispasmodic on hand for flare-ups.You should also keep unflavored Pedialyte on hand.




Although the amount of blood may seem little reason for concern it could turn into something much worse. I would suggest going in to see the vet about it because it definitely is something that should be looked into. There is probably a small wound somewhere in his system that is for some reason having trouble healing. I think it just would be a good idea to get to the bottom of the problem before something serious could come out of it




Any kind of stress or over excitement can cause an episode of colitis. Just keep his pills handy when you know he will be under some stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment